A modern mansion (2008) with a soul, that's special! We actually advise you to just come and have a look, this house has been so successful that it is almost impossible to put it into words.
Spectacular industrial-design mansion of no less than 308m2 gross living space, a volume of 979m3 spread over five floors with a large sunny garden, roof terrace and an elevator. The house has a spatial corner location (two front doors), has a view of and is located near the water of Zeeburgerbaai.
Due to the double entrance and the elevator, there are many possibilities for combinations of family home/work-studio-atelier/B&B/rental/au-pair. There is a separate loft apartment that can be accessed with a beautiful view from the roof terrace. The storage room can also be used as a garage for a small car, in addition to the parking permit.
There is so much to tell about this property, let's start with the specifics:
- Modern, very striking and architect-designed light and spacious mansion on an extra deep and wide corner lot (6.30m x 21m) on the water-rich and popular Steigereiland Zuid.
- View over water from many rooms and an unobstructed view of the entire James due to its corner location Bradleystraat, William Barlowlaan and jetty.
- Playful layout with spacious voids and alternating ceiling heights (5.50m - 2.80m).
- Routing through the house of small and large wooden or steel stairs.
- 'Rugged look' due to concrete inner walls and floors (cast floors on all floors, with the exception of the sitting room), galvanized steel (fencing and stairs) in nice contrast with the warm appearance of the wooden cupboard walls, colorful niches and plastered walls and ceilings on all floors.
- The facade to the garden can be completely opened through a folding sliding door. A void connects the space with the first floor with seating area and home cinema.
- Landscaped, walled garden (approx. 63 m2) on the West with gate, so possibility from the street place an extra bicycle and storage shed in the garden that can be reached via the garden gate (if the current storage room/garage would be used, for example, for a second car). Due to the corner location, the South side is also free, so sun from early in the afternoon until well into the evening.
- The building has two entrances and a PERSONAL LIFT that unlocks each floor separately the use of the building gives endless possibilities and can be adapted per life situation be: Entirely occupied as a super-sized family home with, for example, a resident au pair. OR as a living/working building with the upper apartment as a studio/atelier. OR to go big live and at the same time have a generous source of income by renting out the apart accessible and directly accessible by elevator (from entrance William Barlowlaan) Loft apartment on the 5th and 6th layer. Until 2015 a very successful B&B was run called 'The Loft Amsterdam' (official self-sufficient B&B/Short Stay).
- House is included in the Architecture Yearbook of 2011/2012 because of its special appearance.
- Built in 2008. Meets strict building standards, which makes the house very energy efficient.
- Fully and very high-quality insulated building, double glazing.
- Maintenance-free aluminum coated facade and western red cedar frames, steel sliding doors, sturdy concrete hull.
- Concrete interior walls. Special comfort sound-absorbing cast floor in loft apartment
- Special antenna to receive 4G indoors.
- Passenger lift with a stop on each floor.
- Electrically operated and adjustable sun protection facade shutters for desired light and privacy and which make the building very special on the outside! These close automatically in strong winds.
- CAT5 computer cabling throughout the house with a switch on the first floor, resulting in exceptionally good and secure WiFi connections.
- Underfloor heating via district heating throughout the building (to be set separately per floor).
- Possibility for a fireplace in the apartment and possibility for a fireplace on the first floor.
- Air conditioning in the apartment.
- Extremely high efficiency solar panels on the roof terrace. 17 panels with 6.375 KWp Peakwatt power.
- Handmade fixed wooden cupboard walls throughout the building with colorful niches. Cupboard walls contain a wealth of highly efficient storage space in the form of storage and wardrobes and storage drawers. The closet walls are prominent throughout the house. It is according to taste wood (and the niches) are easy to paint for a completely different look.
- Energy-efficient WTW (heat recovery system), which can be controlled manually, so no standard.
- Safe, pleasant, car-free neighborhood where children can play outside themselves. During the summer swimming and sailing in the lake on the doorstep.
- A parking permit can be requested immediately, for which there is currently no waiting time applies. There is ample parking for visitors.
Entrance at James Bradleystraat 11, small stairs down (the ground floor is half a meter below ground level). Spacious, bright kitchen with high ceiling and located on the sunny, landscaped garden on the west. The 3.5 meter high glass garden door can be completely opened (so-called folding sliding door, also with a single wicket door). Modern kitchen island with white Corean kitchen top, Bosch induction hob, sink with chrome mixer tap and Siemens dishwasher (2017). Sleek, white built-in wardrobe with kitchen appliances (combi oven, high fridge with freezer compartment, washing machine/dryer connection) and spacious storage cupboards. Extra wide staircase to living room.
The entrance on the other corner, at 157 William Barlowlaan, provides access to the hall with storage cupboards and entrance elevator. The garage door to the indoor storage room is also located on William Barlowlaan, which is used by the current residents as a bicycle shed and storage for belongings and a workbench, washing machine and dryer, but which can be used for one car if desired. Spacious fitted wardrobes and deep drawers for many coats and shoes and garden equipment. Extra floor cabinets offer space for non-everyday items such as skis, etc.
Very bright living room which is in direct and open connection with the kitchen via the loft on the side and also offers a view over the garden. Very high spatial loft (5.27 meters) at the front containing a 3.5 meter high glass corner sliding door made of steel. The facade offers a view over the water and the residential jetty and a wide view over the entire street to the left and right. The sliding doors can be completely opened, creating an indoor balcony (facing south) where you can enjoy the sun. Wooden built-in wardrobe with niches and wooden stairs to the second floor. The elevator is also located here.
Landing which provides access to two spacious, bright bedrooms (one of which is currently used as a dressing room) and a beautiful Apiani tiled bathroom, with daylight, two washbasins with base units, high, spacious built-in wardrobe, extra large duo bath with thermostatic tap and walk-in shower with rain shower, of course also with thermostat. The bathroom contains a separate toilet room that can be closed. At the end of the hall is the elevator entrance and a very special open-work steel staircase, which is located in a void, and provides access to the third floor.
Very bright space due to the many windows over the entire corner with a beautiful view over the water and the roofs of the Steigereilandhuizen. Deep wall unit over the entire length with fitted wardrobes and drawers for clothes, a bookcase and niches. An entrance door to a small bedroom has been incorporated into the wall. This space is now a workplace and there is a grand piano. The acoustics of the house are surprisingly good!
Entrance, elevator, large open loft space of approximately 75 m2 spread over 1.5 floors. Beautiful panoramic view over the water and the city through the large windows over the entire corner. The space is air conditioned (2020). In the open loft space, in the entire side wall, processed as a whole, there is a blue mosaic tiled open kitchen alcove with Belgian hard stone worktop with induction hob, sink, storage space and connection option for washing machine. There is also space for a dishwasher. The small bedroom/TV room has a direct connection to a jade-green mosaic tiled alcove with bath/shower, separate toilet with fountain. These can be completely closed off from the living area via a large white sliding door (can be pushed in and out from behind the white built-in bookcase). An open steel staircase leads to the downstairs spacious and bright bedroom with pink mosaic washbasin niche. The bedroom on the corner also has a large high steel sliding door which functions as an indoor balcony with a lovely seat in the sun. Wooden cupboard wall with built-in wardrobes. Hall with wooden staircase, fitted wardrobes and alcove, to the roof structure.
Through the roof structure access to a large and very sunny roof terrace (49m2) with panoramic views. The entire Steigereiland, the IJmeer in front of the door, the Markermeer on the other side and the whole of IJburg up to the city can be overlooked from the roof terrace. Beautiful sky and sunrises and sunsets to behold.
- Living area 231m2, volume 979m3 (in accordance with measurement instructions);
- Extra wide corner lot of 6.30m x 21m (plot area 132 m2) of which built-up area
6.30m x 11m. Garden on West and South of 6.30m x 10m;
- built in 2008;
- long lease: AB2000: the current period runs until May 31, 2056. The ground rent is currently € 1,845.98 per six months with a 10-year indexation (for the first time on June 1, 2026);
- application to switch to perpetual leasehold has been made under favorable conditions;
- completely isolated;
- underfloor heating (adjustable per room) and hot water through district heating;
- modern electrical installation consisting of sufficient groups with one earth leakage circuit breaker;
- known at the Land Registry’s office as municipality of Amsterdam, section AU, number 2341, size 1 are 32 centiare;
- definitive energy label A;
- transfer in consultation.
Steigereiland has a very varied street scene with a lot of creativity! This is partly due to the variety in the free buildings. Detached houses, semi-detached houses, 2-, 3- and 4-storey houses, houses on the water, spacious gardens, inner streets; everything can be found here. A primary school, a playground, a music school, a sailing school, a small local shop, various nurseries, a restaurant and a theater can be found nearby and within walking distance. Furthermore, one of the largest city parks in Amsterdam can be reached within walking distance; the Diemerpark, where a football and hockey club also have their fields. Less than 5 minutes by bike from Steigereiland, this park has a beautiful small beach where you can enjoy swimming and sunbathing in the summer. For a somewhat larger beach with all facilities, you cycle a little further to the east. The 'Blijburg' beach is located there, with various catering establishments, a surf school and ample parking. On this side of the island you will also find a larger variety of shops and specialty shops (butcher, fishmonger, bakery, etc.) but also a beauty salon, a shoemaker and a night shop. Thanks to the new bicycle bridge over the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal, the city center is easily and easily accessible by bicycle. Tram 26 will take you to Central Station within fifteen minutes and the A10 ring road is very easily accessible.
Read full description